The Galveston Historic Homes Tour takes place from April 30th through May 8, giving the public the opportunity to check out Galveston’s amazing architectural history. Tours lead guests through privately-owned historic properties in Galveston.
In addition to the buildings showcased on the tour, Galveston is also home to other historic properties, many of which are managed by Mitchell Historic Properties.
1) The Berlocher Building was built in 1858 and designed by noted architect P.M. Comegys. It was once a grand four-story building, but today only three stories remain. The Berlocher is found right across the street from the historic Tremont House Hotel (which is said to be haunted). It is home to 14 loft apartments on the second and third floors.
2) The Butterowe Building was constructed in 1876. It was originally used for designing and creating sails for ships, and it overlooks the Galveston harbor. The Butterowe Building has ties to the nation’s deadliest storm, the hurricane of 1900 (also known as The Great Galveston Hurricane). The death toll is estimated at between 6,000 and 12,000 and the city ran out of places to bury the dead, and the Butterowe Building became a place to store bodies awaiting burial after the hurricane. Today, the Butterowe Building is home to six loft apartments.
3) The next property on the list is the Henry Rosenberg Building. Designed by P.M. Comegys, the Rosenberg is a three-story brick and cast iron-front building that was built in 1871. It can be found on Strand Street across from Saengerfest Park. Galveston has one of the largest collections of cast-iron-fronted buildings in the U.S. At the time the Rosenberg was built, cast iron was a popular decorative architectural feature, so the building is a reminder of the time when Galveston was a center of finance and commerce (in fact, the area was often called “The Wall Street of the Southwest”).
The Rosenberg Building originally housed a department store and, later, a telephone company occupied the building. In 1981, the Rosenberg was purchased and restored by George and Cynthia Mitchell.
Today the building houses seven loft apartments on the second and third floors, some of which are available for lease.
4) The Thompson Building is a two-story building constructed in 1878. It is located on the Strand and overlooks the harbor. The building was designed by three men: John Wolston, Clinton Wells and Charles Vidor. The Thompson Building was home to wholesale drugstores until the turn of the 20th century; it then housed a ship chandlery and a retail grocery business.
Today, the Thompson Building is home to seven lofts, and some are available for lease.
Mitchell Historic Properties
The properties above were restored by the Mitchell family and are overseen today by Mitchell Historic Properties, a privately owned and operated company based in Galveston. The properties are located in the historic Strand District, along the Galveston Harbor.
The Mitchell Family is committed to revitalizing The Strand district and Galveston Island. For more than 30 years, the Mitchells have been investing in the rehabilitation of the historic properties in the district. Please contact Mitchell Historic Properties for more information or for leasing opportunities.