Home to welcoming locals, a thriving culinary scene, great community events, and plenty of unique shops, Galveston is a go-to destination for those in search of weekend fun. And as this Texas city becomes an increasingly popular weekend destination, it seems that one of the South’s best-kept secrets isn’t quite a secret anymore.
Whether you’re a native Texan or planning a getaway to the Lone Star State, the coastal city of Galveston should be a must-see on your travel itinerary. There’s always something exciting going on, and the city’s vibrant historic district is host to an eclectic mix of locally-owned shops, casual-cool restaurants, and entertainment hotspots. No matter what your travel style, you’re sure to find plenty of activities to enjoy during your stay.
Here are just a few of the best things to do in Galveston this weekend, so you can be sure to make the most of your time in this Gulf Coast gem:
- Enjoy an Up-Close Experience with Dolphins in their Natural Habitat. Baywatch Dolphin Tours offers the opportunity to experience ocean life outside of an aquarium, by taking you out on the water for a front-row seat to nature’s wonders. Board a 34-foot boat, choose indoor or outdoor seating, and set off from Pier 21, right in front of the Harbor House Hotel.
- Make Frame-Worthy Memories, Old West-Style. Buster’s Old Time Photos is a family-owned photography studio where you can choose from an extensive collection of old-timey costumes. Choose to dress in Wild West, Victorian, Old South, Pirate or Roaring 20’s; then sit for a quick, professional photo shoot to commemorate the fun. You can even include your pets in the fun!
- Find an Ocean-Inspired Travel Memento. Swap out the typical tourist souvenirs for something a little more unique from The Admiralty Ocean Discoveries and Ship Gallery. Their selection of ocean-centric treasures includes jewelry, candles, body care, wall art, nautical treasures, and books. So it’s easy to find a beautiful reminder of your time by the Gulf.
- Expand Your Spice Collection with Hand-Crafted Blends. Whether you’re a pro in the kitchen or just a happy home cook, you’ll be in awe at the selection of spices, teas, flavored sugars, and chili powders at The Spice & Tea Exchange®. They have everything from gourmet burger seasoning and steak rubs to the perfect flavor boost for your morning smoothie, as well as great recipe kits and tea blends.
- Sip a Martini While Listening to Live Jazz. The Tremont House is a stylish boutique hotel in Galveston’s Strand National Historic Landmark District, and one of the city’s best places to book a weekend stay. Even if you don’t book a stay here, stop by for the live jazz on Friday and Saturday evenings, complemented perfectly by a drink menu of craft beer and more than 15 fine-crafted martinis.
- Indulge Your Sweet Tooth with Chocolate Delights. The rich smell freshly made waffle cones and caramel greets you the moment you step into the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, quickly followed by a full case of gourmet caramel apples and chocolate-centric goodies that will satisfy even the most stubborn sweet craving.
- Stock Up on Gourmet Jerky to Fuel Your Weekend Adventures. Every fun weekend needs good snacks, and there’s no better place than Galveston’s Beef Jerky Outlet to get yours. They offer gourmet jerky in just about every flavor imaginable, catering to tastes from the traditional to the eclectic. You can even sample any jerky prior to purchase!
- Play a Hand or Two of Texas Hold’Em. The Vault Poker Club is Galveston’s home base for everything poker, including several area tournaments and events. See if you can win big at one of their cash tables or check out their daily NLH tournament offerings.
- Dine on the Freshest Seafood in Texas. Fisherman’s Wharf is a local restaurant favorite, with a menu packed with delicious seafood dishes, including sharing-friendly platters, crave-worthy pasta, and more. You’ll enjoy your meal 1877 Tall Ship Elissa and the working harbor.
- Catch a Show at Pier 21 Theater. If you’re interested in learning about local history, including Galveston’s legendary pirates and the Great Storm of 1900, you’re sure to enjoy one of the presentations offered at Pier 21 Theater. Tickets are inexpensive and show times are every hour, so you can easily plan to view all three of the documentary-style films during your weekend in the city.
Plan Your Perfect Galveston Weekend
Want to learn more about everything that Galveston has to offer? Mitchell Historic Properties is proud to be a part of the thriving community, and our downtown presence means we have an insiders’ view of all the best things to do and see, for locals and visitors alike. Here in our historic Strand District neighborhood, there’s always something going on. Whether you’re here for the great shopping, incredible food, or the friendly people, The Strand is absolutely the place to be. Don’t be surprised if you’re tempted to turn your weekend visit into an extended stay – you’re always welcome to come back for more Galveston fun.